Type (Physical characteristics and technical requirements)
Description (Scope and Content)
Includes black and white photographs of the interior and exterior of the 39th Street Ferry House Men's Shelter, built in response to the Panic of 1920. In cooperation with the Department of Public Welfare and the Mayor's Committee on Relief, SCI opened this temporary station for unemployed seamen on November 7, 1921. This facility provided beds, hot showers, laundry services and food for 500 men each night until it closed on April 15, 1922.
Rights (Terms governing use)
Seamen’s Church Institute provides digital access to materials from its Archives for educational and research purposes. Responsibility for determining copyright status of and securing permission to use an item rests with the person desiring to use the material.